Matrix CAD

Yesterday afternoon I attended a taster session for Matrix 6 CAD software. It's jewellery specific software which is used in conjunction with Rhino, with the emphasis on easy design and placement of stone settings. Whilst I can see how incredibly useful for designing semi-mass produced and bespoke pieces it would be and also for photo-quality images of pieces that don't exist yet, I still don't think it's for me - I just like making things by hand too much. It's been quite a few years since I used Rhino, and I haven't used Rhino jewel, so it's difficult for me to make a fair comparison, but I found it reasonably easy to use. That said, we were working mainly from templates and adapting and adding to them. Here's what I came away with (after about an hour's tinkering):



You can find out more about Matrix at Gemvision's website

Comments