Chain Dentata


This chain is the result of all the tiny components I have been working with. You can just about make out the little fine silver press forms, which are the basis for the settings for the porcelain crowns. The other large links are all set with garnets of various sizes and cuts, and engraved.
Every single link was fabricated by hand, and the chain is around a metre long. Needless to say, it took more than two months to complete!



I am currently working on another stone-set chain which, in complete contrast, is being made through CAD/CAM. I received the printed waxes this morning (quite exciting) and will take them to be cast this week. So am I contradicting my previous reservations about CAD? Well, not really - it might be saving me a great deal of time in terms of manufacture, but the initial outlay is far more. Also, I feel a little removed from the creation of the pieces and I can't make the kind of adjustments I would normally be able to as I don't have the skills to be able to tweak the computer files. I'll probably be happier once I have the silver castings back - on more familiar ground!

Comments